Monday 1 March 2010

Review of Don't Sweat the Small Stuff by Richard Carlson


I mentioned in a previous post that this was one of the books that I've been reading from a Life Coaching/Business & and Executive coaching perspective and I have finally had the chance to complete it and I wanted to share my thoughts.

Carlson's book is a relatively light tome - in terms of page count and if you can find the time the duration of the read but it's one I'd certainly recommend taking the time out to go through it in its entirety. It's broken down into 100 mini chapters each containing an idea, a thought or a simple mental exercise to run through. The main premise of the book is to try and slow life down, make it less stressful and as the title suggests try to gain some perspective on where life is, where it's going and perhaps, how you should get there. 

From a personal perspective I really enjoyed the book and found it useful and will certainly be using many of the tips and advice contained within it. About two thirds of the way through the book I decided to actually e-mail Richard and ask if some kind of interview with him might be a possibility and I was shocked on doing some on-line research to discover that unfortunately he passed away in 2006 from a pulmonary embolism during a domestic flight in the USA. It's odd isn't it how reading a book you can almost become attached to a person and feel as if you know them and to be honest especially given the message about calmness and love encompassed within the book I felt very deflated and upset when I read the news. I'd like to take a moment to pass on mine and my readers condolences to Richards wife and family.

Perhaps Richards death does add to the poignancy, of a book devoted to not worrying about the small stuff and living in the moment. To conclude I'd like to give you the title of the final mini-chapter in the book :

"Live this day as if it was your last. It might be!"

A really good book which I would wholeheartedly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment