Tuesday 16 March 2010

The future of Localventure

It has been an interesting few weeks since the Localventure blog was launched (19th January 2010). Initially the only goal behind the blog was to create something that would be of both interest and use to the small business community. It also gave me the opportunity to test out some of my ideas about marketing, client prospecting and so forth.

To be honest, the feedback and support from many people has really taken me aback and the numbers of both visitors and new members has really exceeded my expectations.

Anyone who has visited us on a semi-regular basis may be aware that I had said that once we reach critical mass of members the plan was to move to a full website url way from this blog as the sole presence of the idea on-line. In my mind, I had that critical mass figure as 100 plus members - it looks as if we will reach that figures somewhere in early April (we now have 41 members and more joining everyday at present). I've therefore begun discussions with a web designer as to what functionality we can have and at what cost. I have my first meeting with them next week.

In the meantime I would really welcome feedback either here direct on the blog or via e-mail at venturelocal@gmail.com as to what you'd like to see on the website.

At the moment I envision a site which enables us to professionally display your businesses and images. In addition though I want to add in more additional content - this could be information resource as with the interviews or book reviews we've started or more practical things - so one idea is to offer services or discounts to our members which either they cannot obtain elsewhere or where our group size gives us additional buying power. At some point I want to be able to monetize this process to make Localventure a proper business in its own right. The balancing act I am trying to maintain at the moment is to make this a worthwhile enterprise for me personally while at the same time staying relevant to the initial goal of the site which is to support small business in all its forms - I'm convinced that this is possible and will try to develop the business along these lines where possible.

So, to summarise - lots of exciting things about to happen, watch this space !

If you'd like to get your business on-line at Localventure just drop a line and let me know

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hardworker1,

    I think what you have done here is a great idea and given that it allows small enterprise to effectively advertise for free will bring in additional interest. With a view to changes perhaps a webpage with links to specific sectors taking you to related blog like pages may be an idea. Such as Automotive, Photography, telephone answering, Flowers etc etc. Allowing for a reviews section.

    But overall I think this is great for new business and for promoting web traffic.

    Great Job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great feedback - please keep the ideas coming, Phil, owner Localventure

    ReplyDelete