Friday 6 June 2014

D Day Landings 6th June 1944

Let me start off this post by saying the following.

Personally I owe an enormous debt of gratitude to every soldier, paratrooper, airman, marine and sailor who participated in the D Day landings in June 1944. Without their courage and sacrifice we as a nation and myself individually would not be able to live the cosseted and soft lives we live today in the UK and the Western world more generally. It is a debt that I can never repay and one that I will never forget.

I am taking a moment ....... breaking off from typing .......... to just remember those who gave their lives on a beach only a few hundred miles from where I type, two generations ago.

Please do take the time during the day yourself to think about these pivotal events. It is and will be all over the news media today, quite rightly, wherever you are and whatever you are doing please take a moment to be thankful for that generation of young men who fought to protect our way of life. But also for the dead on both sides.

War is a terrible waste and we must never forget that.

Omaha Beach





No comments:

Post a Comment