Thursday 1 May 2014

IOS to Android move - Part 2


As previously outlined I am in the process of planning a move from Apples eponymous closed ecosystem across to Androids multiverse spanning super flexible system.

In the third and final part of this epic series of posts I will outline how it all went and if I have any regrets (although I am planning to keep my iPhone 5 as a back up - coward !) but for now I'm discussing logistics in todays post. 

I'm currently on an Orange contract expiring 27th of June but eligible for a 'free' upgrade on the 13th of May. At the moment I pay £ 42 per month for an iPhone specific contract (although I bought the 5 myself to replace a 4S I had received on a previous contract). For this I have effectively unlimited calls and texts and 2 GB of data which I've come close but never exceeded.

In an ideal world I would like to pay less per month and have at least double the data, preferably unlimited. As mentioned in the first of these three posts I'm mainly considering the HTC One M8 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on the basis that I want a current, powerful smart phone with a larger screen.

Looking at the costs of SIM free phones plus a SIM only contract (say with 3) the total phone cost, even with cash back from QuidCo et al, plus monthly SIM cost is going too be similar to a free phone upgrade at £30 to £40 per month. Given that I would go for a 24 month contract either way I will probably go for a free phone and contract deal. Broadly as the older phone the Note 3 looks like costing £30 ish (or less) per month and the M8 around £38.

I'll be honest, being lazy if, Orange/EE can give me 4GB of data and monthly price within a pound of the above I will probably stay with them on the basis that I don't then have to mess around with PAC codes as I do need to keep my number and of course I will be able to upgrade on the 13th rather than wait until The end of June. I'd also like to be able to continue to use my iPhone 5 which could mean unlocking it (depending on the network I choose) and also considering the SIM size - using a nano SIM phone like the M8 would mean the SIM is interchangeable (if they're on the same network) between the iPhone and the M8.

Given that size of screen is a bit issue I've done some size comparisons and captured this as below, using my iPhone as a reference point. I included the Nexus 5 as a comparator although for some reason I just don't like the look of it.

Phone Size Comparison
As you can see although the Note 3 is billed as a phablet, the size differential between it and the HTC is actually minimal although I suspect that the screen real estate on the Note 3 will be noticeably larger.

So that's where I am, assuming I go for the free upgrade the decision will be made on or around the 13th (although my bill is due on the 3rd of May so effectively that I could write off the 3rd of June payment and move to a new contract whenever I suppose from now onwards). On paper I like the idea of the HTC - similar hardware and (better?) build quality to the iPhone. Plus their Boom (TM) speaker system seems excellent and given I listen to podcasts regularly round the house on speaker this could be a boon. Although I do fancy the form factor and size of the Note 3 and being honest, the lower cost of the monthly deals with the Note might pip HTC at the post.

I also have very little experience with Touch Whizz or Sense - the two skins over Android. I've used Touch Whizz a little and vanilla Android to support my sons Nexus 7 but really need to get a feel for both devices so my next job is a visit to CPW or similar to get hands on with both devices before making a final decision.

As a final comment on this post, the wildcard may be what Apple do with the iPhone 6. Clearly sa larger screen is almost certain and truth be told if the new Apple device looked brilliant I could sell the iPhone 5 and the new Android device to move back to IOS I suppose at some point in 2015 but Apple would have to change the form factor and wow me with IOS 8 as frankly it has become a little stale.

No comments:

Post a Comment