Wednesday 10 September 2014

Apples Key Note - 9th of September 2014

As a tech lover and Apple afficanado I absorbed the announcements yesterday with some interest. Having said that I'm a bit underwhelmed.

Iphone 6

The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus look great but I'm still not over my iPhone 5 which functions more than adequately and my problem is that in June I ditched the 5 for the larger screen Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (as my daily driver) which has proved a great addition to my tech arsenal and having fully acclimatised to the Android 4.4.2 with the Touch Whizz interface I'm completely happy with the integration into my work flow and even the 5.5 inch 6 Plus isn't going to attract me back to IOS on the phone.

I do look forward to seeing IOS 8 in action on the iPhone 5 and my iPad 4 but don't see it as a major driver to my moving back to IOS on the new phones.

Apple Watch

I am actually in the market for a fitness/notification device and the fact that the Apple Watch doesn't work with my daily driver phone is a problem. I could switch back to the iPhone 5 but the truth is I don't much like the square form factor of the new Apple device. I was also slightly disappointed by the original iPad quick decent into slowness and inadequate sensitivity to touch enough to be wary of buying a first generation apple 'prototype' device at the moment.

I suspect strongly that I will probably end up going for a later version of an Android wear device but time will tell - I like the look of the Moto 360 but am wary about battery life issues. I've also checked out the Samsung Gear Fit but it does have very limited functionality.

Apple Pay 

To me this is the really interesting idea. For years I've been trying to ditch my wallet and replace with just using the phone but in the UK the opportunity to use contactless payment via the phone is very limited. An integrated payment solution that could replace my debit card would be massive for me and in future iterations could tempt me back over to IOS on the phone but it simply doesn't exist in the UK yet but I'm hopeful that as Apple pushes their system other providers in the Android space will also ride on their coat tails to offer other more comprehensive options than we have now. Regardless until the system within retailers stores becomes available proper phone based payment is just a pipe dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment