Monday 12 April 2010

Back from holiday in Cardiff

I have found my way back from Cardiff and wanted to give a bit of an update. The trip was purely for a family holiday but I was very impressed with Cardiff for a number of reasons ;

I'd travelled to Wales a couple of times on business in the past but as always saw the inside of offices and hotel rooms - one city looks very much like another on this level.

Visiting Cardiff as a tourist however you get a totally different perspective and here's some initial thoughts.

1) Cardiff Bay



Money clearly was not the issue when redeveloping this area and to be honest they have done a top notch job - clean, safe, well thought out. A pleasure to walk around. Lots of restautants and shops in addition to the bay itself

2) Joined up thinking

Everything seemed to work from the roads, to the tourist information tying up to the correct attraction. Infrastructure and parking all accessible and reasonably priced. The right kind of shops in the right place.

3) Quality of architecture/town planning

The right mix of ultramodern with old - the kind of thing that every city tries but few achieve.



4) Lot's to do

Both for adults and kids, whether it's raining or (lucky for us!) the weather is great.

4) Most importantly - lovely people

Didn't have a single surly salesperson or wait(tress) - this may have been good luck but I think the way everything hung together made for more pleasant working environments for people.

Now I tweeted a little about the above when I was away (hi to my new Welsh followers by the way !) and I think I can confirm here and now - big fan of Cardiff !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment