Wednesday 21 April 2010

Business Networking Event last week

I visited my first 'proper' (i.e. formally organised) business networking event last week. It was held in Leeds at a city centre bar and I wanted to update my experiences for you.

I went along for a variety of reasons these included the obvious - to make new business contacts ! But also for some less obvious reasons. Firstly, business networking is one of the primary goals of the Localventure blog - slightly different as we're talking a real difference between in person and on-line but networking never the less. In addition I had in mind, as long time readers of the blog will remember to organise some face to face networking events myself under the LV banner - this is still a possibility but has become less urgent as I work on other things for the brand. I also wanted to begin testing out some of the ideas for monetizing the blog on 'live' potential clients.

So - how was the event itself ?

I was actually surprised. It was certainly hard to push myself forward but I simply started with the premise that in all likelihood everyone else was just as nervous as me - this helped and I spoke to a number of interesting people. From a business production point of view the session was pretty good too. I've already organised two meetings with potential Provider Members - who I think when and if they agree to come on board will be providing some excellent SME based services for members. I also have a third meeting pending as well.

So overall, pretty nerve wracking but productive too.

No comments:

Post a Comment