Friday 23 November 2018

The Problem with GDPR - 1) Inconsistency

Hands up anyone who understands how GDPR is supposed to work ? Not even the lawyers can do that because they know that GDPR exists, amongst other reasons, to keep them in work with it's ambiguities and inconsistency.

For anyone, business or customer those four letters have become some of the most annoying in recent history. Let me give you an example of the inconsistency of GDPR in operation.

Two weeks ago I needed to book in a medical scan for a family member - the hospital had my number and called me to arrange it on their behalf. This was agreed at the hospital with their radiology team. The call to diary in the test came to my mobile and they asked to speak to the patient - my family member. I explained as above, we'd agreed I would organise it as I'm taking the person to the appointment and have a note from their diary of when they are available - all agreed with me in one call, appointment booked. No problem.

One week later exactly. The results meant another follow up scan was needed in two months time. The procedure was agreed with the same people in the same hospital to do the same thing as noted above to book in the new visit.

The call came in to my mobile and they asked to speak to the patient. I said, "Oh the scan people - I'll book in the appointment as I'm bringing the person and have their diary."

"No, can I speak to the patient" I said "Why" - guess what the answer was : GDPR.

I tried to make the point that GDPR hadn't applied seven days earlier in EXACTLY the same circumstances especially considering that the only personal information they divulged was the name of the patient which I had already. Totally bonkers. They wouldn't let me book the scan and therefore they had to call back again to my family member directly who of course couldn't book in the visit as they didn't have my diary - the person who was organising the transport.

Ludicrous on two levels - the inconsistency within the same department in the same hospital and the fact that despite no personal medical information being involved they've made it functionally impossible for someone who can't organise their own transport/needs to be accompanied by a family member to make an appointment. Lunacy.


No comments:

Post a Comment