Thursday 13 May 2010

Life lessons in business

It's been an odd couple of weeks. I've been extremely busy on a number of projects and probably not offering enough (or indeed any) attention to Localventure during that time period. As a business person it is easy to take your eye off the ball and focus on something else. It's important to take time out and realise if the focus is on the right subject.

One of the things I do in my office at home is pin up 'inspirational' messages, notes or quotes that I find and display them above my desk so I can, well draw inspiration from them. A few weeks ago I removed one and replaced it. The new one is funny and clever but it turns out not that useful. The previous one, it pans out was really quite good and I probably should have kept it. Here's the quote :

"Is what I am doing now the best use of my time ?"

Paul Sanneman, Business Success Tips Podcast, September 2009

So I removed the quote from my vision and then went off and did not spend my time as wisely as I could and the result ? I committed in my opinion one of the biggest business sins of all. I failed to check my diary properly last Friday and missed a meeting. Even worse it was a sales call with a potential client. I apologised profusely when he sent me a (rightfully) snarky e-mail but the damage was done and that opportunity is lost for good - quite rightly too.

So there you go - lesson learned for me. Focus on the job at hand, make sure it's the right job and don't be a prat and always, always check your flipping diary !

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment